Followers

Wednesday, July 31, 2013


Goal of my Research:
To research if going from a block schedule (hour and a half classes) to a rotating schedule (fifty-five minute classes) will increase student achievement on the STAAR.

Supporting Questions for understanding:
·       What are the concerns or thoughts that staff members have about the switch in schedules?   Beginning of school
·       How has the switch in schedules helped/hurt you? End of first six weeks: staff/students
·       What do you like/dislike about the change? End of semester: staff/6th grade students


End of Year Questions
·       What was the best attribute for you in the schedule change?
·       What was the worst attribute for you in the schedule change?
·       Based on the STAAR results did we see a positive, negative or no impact?



                                    Person(s)               Timeline:                Needed
   Action Steps         Responsible            Start/End              Resources                Evaluation
1) Survey staff on their concerns or thoughts about the switch in schedules.



·   Site Supervisor
·   Staff members
·   Roger McNeel
Start date:
August 26th


End date:
September 3rd



· Online Survey created by Roger McNeel
· Use of computer lab (potentially)
· Staff members
Data will be collected and analyzed from the survey and included as part of the final project results.




2) Survey staff about how the switch in schedules have helped/hurt them as far as teaching their content?



·   Site Supervisor
·   Staff members
·   Roger McNeel
Start: End of first six weeks


End: Second week of the second six weeks
· Online Survey created by Roger McNeel
· Use of computer lab (potentially)

· Staff members
Data will be collected and analyzed from the survey and included as part of the final project results.
3) Survey staff and student on what they like or dislike about the change?



·   Site Supervisor
·   Staff members
·   Students
·   Roger McNeel
Start: End of first semester

End: two weeks into second semester
· Online Survey created by Roger McNeel
· Use of computer lab (potentially)
· Staff and students


Data will be collected and analyzed from the survey and included as part of the final project results.
4) Survey staff on what was the best attribute you gained from the schedule change?

·   Site Supervisor
·   Staff members
·   Roger McNeel

Start: May



End: June
· Online Survey created by Roger McNeel
· Use of computer lab (potentially)
· Staff

Data will be collected and analyzed from the survey and included as part of the final project results.
5) Survey staff on what was the worst attribute you gained from the schedule change?


·   Site Supervisor
·   Staff members
·   Roger McNeel

Start: May



End: June
· Online Survey created by Roger McNeel
· Use of computer lab (potentially)
· Staff

Data will be collected and analyzed from the survey and included as part of the final project results.




6) Based on the STAAR results did the change have a positive, negative or no impact?
·   Site Supervisor
·   Assistant Principals
·   Roger McNeel
Start: June

End: June
· STAAR results from this year and last year
Data will be analyzed from the results and included as part of the final project results.




7) Analyze and self-reflect on the data from last years STAAR test.
·   Roger McNeel
Start: September and this will be an ongoing process.
· Time to analyze last year’s data.
· Time to reflect on my findings and adjust my project accordingly.
I will keep a journal of my reflections and will provide a copy of that with my final project.
8) Review research done by others over the same topic and analyze their outcomes.
·   Roger McNeel
·   Campus Administrators

This will be an ongoing process throughout my project, so that I can compare my findings with theirs.
· Online searches for information on my topic.
· Consulting with the administrators on my campus to see if they have researched this topic.
A copy of my journal notes will be included with my final research project.
9) Meet with the administration that was in charge of reviewing and changing our schedule.
·   Roger McNeel
·   All administration involved with the process
This is a meeting that will have to be set up at a time that is beneficial for everyone involved so it could be as late as mid spring.
· Copies of data used to help make this determination
· Time to share my research project with everyone
I will keep a journal of notes at the meeting and provide a copy of the notes with my final project.

5 comments:

  1. This looks great Roger. It appears to be well thought out and well planned. I'm glad that I'm seeing you put "this will be an on-going process" on your time start/end column. I'm having the same issue with my action research plan. I'm elementary, so I don't have the block issue, but I'm interested to see in what you discover as you conduct your research. GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger-
    I really liked how you stated your supporting questions and end of year questions. I am in elementary too, so I don't know much about a block schedule. I will say that when I was in HS (in IN) both of the HS that I went to were on a block schedule. As a student, I really enjoyed having more time in class. I really like your ideas for your project. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our school changed from all block to block in math and English for 6th grade. It didn't effect me since I'm 6th grade but I know how our teachers feel about it. It would seem that the principal should of done an action research plan before the change was made. Looks like you have been thorough in your planning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a well thought out plan. What online resource are you going to use to conduct your surveys? I believe that I may add a survey to action research. I am going to look at our tutorial process and how it impacts test scores. I think it would be beneficial to me to get some staff input.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just some thoughts to keep in mind, the passing standards rates will increase this year, so comparison of STAAR results data will from last year to this year will need to reflect that

    also you may want to include a literature review on Block schedule vs. 7-period day schedule

    Please take sometime to visit my blog: http://cmiranda512tx.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete